Sunday, April 10, 2011

Baked Garlic and Green Chili Cheese Grits

Being a southern girl I grew up on grits, both for breakfast and dinner. For breakfast, I remember getting ready for school and my grandma having a bowl of grits and toast ready for me when I got to her house. For dinner, after a fishing trip my mom fried the fish and always served them with grits (my favorite part of the dinner!) This is a slightly different version from the plain grits that my mom used to make. They are delicious. And if you are one of those who have never tasted grits before this recipe is for you. Once you try them you will fall in love with grits!
Not the best picture because I took this the day after. I'll update the next time I make this dish.
Baked Garlic and Green Chili Cheese Grits


Ingredients:
3-4 cloves of garlic
6 cups chicken broth
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 cups regular grits
12 ounces cheese (any cheddar, I used sharp)
1/2 cup milk
4 eggs (beaten)
1 stick unsalted butter
1 (4 oz) can green chilies
8 ounces white cheddar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Roast garlic cloves for about 20 minutes or until soft.
Meanwhile, bring chicken broth, salt, pepper, and garlic powder to a boil.
Remove garlic from cloves and set garlic aside.
Add grits to boiling water, whisking to prevent clumps. Reduce heat to low and let simmer 8-10 minutes or until thickened.
Add cheese and milk and stir until combined.
To add eggs you will need to temper them first. To do this take a spoonful of grits and add it to the eggs. Stir to gradually heat up the eggs without "cooking" them.
Add egg/grits mixture to the rest of the grits. Add butter, green chilies, and garlic until combined.
Pour grits into a greased 4 quart casserole dish.
Cover with white cheddar.
Bake 35-40 minutes or until set.

No comments:

Post a Comment