Saturday, September 10, 2011

Crockpot White Beans and Rice

I was really craving white beans and rice but didn't have the time to slave over a stove all day to make them from scratch. As I was researching recipes for white beans on the internet I came across a few that were done in the crockpot. So I decided to try it. I made this during the week and prepped everything (veggies and meat) the night before. All I had to do in the morning was throw everything in the crockpot. When I came home from work that evening dinner was ready and we had probably the best white beans I've tasted (besides my dad's maybe).


Crockpot White Beans and Rice
Ingredients:
1 12-oz bag of northern white beans
1 onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 ham hock
1 package andouille sausage, quartered
2 bay leaves
4-5 cups of water
seasoning to taste (onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, Tony's)

Directions:
Soak beans in water overnight.
In the morning, drain beans. Add beans and all remaining ingredients to crockpot. I recommend going heavy on the seasonings since the recipe requires so much water.
Cook beans on low setting for 8-9 hours. If too watery, smash some of the beans on the side of the crockpot, then cook on high for another hour.
Serve over cooked white rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment