Sunday, January 30, 2011

Creamed Spinach

As I was growing up this is a recipe that my dad used to make all the time. I used to never eat it because it had onions in it. Now that my pallate has significantly changed over the years it has become a favorite of my dad's many tasty recipes. It is pretty easy to make and in my opinion far surpasses any other creamed spinach I've tasted.

Hope you enjoy!



Creamed Spinach 
passed down from my dad

Ingredients

  • 2 tbs oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped finely
  • 2 boxes frozen chopped spinach
  • 1/2 box (4 oz) cream cheese (1/3 less fat)
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup
  • ~4 oz sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1 tsp celery seed
  • season to taste (salt,pepper, Tony's)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350. 
2. Saute onions in oil until soft. 
3. While onions are cooking, place box of spinach in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Boil about 15 minutes. Drain completely and return to saucepan. 
4. Add cream of mushroom, onions, cream cheese, celery seed, and seasonings to spinach. 
5. Cook on medium about 5-10 minutes, or until ingredients are combined. 
6. Transfer mixture to a casserole dish and top with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted

No comments:

Post a Comment